[mpich-discuss] Build MPICH2-1.3.1 with MinGW?

Rick Rankin rrankin1424-mpi at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 29 22:25:14 CST 2010

Hello,

I'm wondering if it's currently possible to build MPICH2-1.3.1 with the current MinGW compiler (gcc-4.5.0)? I've searched the mailing list archives, and it appears to be possible, but there are no specific instructions, at least none that I've found so far.

When I run './configure' from MSYS bash, it gets to a point where it complains about missing shared memory support:

checking for mmap... no
checking for munmap... no
checking for shmget... no
checking for shmat... no
checking for shmctl... no
checking for shmdt... no
configure: error: cannot support shared memory:  need either sysv shared memory functions or mmap in order to support shared memory
configure: error: channels/nemesis configure failed
configure: error: src/mpid/ch3 configure failed

I've tried a number of different configure options, but so far haven't hit on a combination that works.

I've also tried installing the binary 32-bit distribution. While I can probably get that to work if I only use the C bindings, I'd like to be able to use the C++ bindings. The problem appears to be that the MinGW library in the distribution, libmpicxx.a, appears to have been built with a version of MinGW gcc configured for SJLJ exception handling, while the current MinGW distribution is configured for Dwarf-2 exceptions. This difference results in a number of undefined externals:

$ g++ -ID:/tools/mpich2/include mpitest.cpp -LD:/tools/mpich2/lib -lmpicxx -lmpi
D:/tools/mpich2/lib/libmpicxx.a(initcxx.o):initcxx.cxx:(.text+0x456): undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_sj0'
D:/tools/mpich2/lib/libmpicxx.a(initcxx.o):initcxx.cxx:(.text+0x47b): undefined reference to `_Unwind_SjLj_Register'
D:/tools/mpich2/lib/libmpicxx.a(initcxx.o):initcxx.cxx:(.text+0x4e8): undefined reference to `_Unwind_SjLj_Resume'
D:/tools/mpich2/lib/libmpicxx.a(initcxx.o):initcxx.cxx:(.text+0x4fe): undefined reference to `_Unwind_SjLj_Unregister'

This is why I'd like to be able to build from source.

Thank you,

Rick