[mpich-discuss] Mixing different CPU architectures

Saurav Pathak saurav at sas.upenn.edu
Wed Nov 17 10:49:18 CST 2010

Hi All,

This is not specifically a MPICH question, but related.

Is it OK to mix different CPU architectures in a set of nodes?  For
instance, I have dual quad code (Intel E5530, 2.4 MHz, 8MB L3) system.
Can I add a dual six core (Intel X5650, 2.66MHz, 12M L3) node to the mix
and still use MPICH?  Would I have to compile MPICH separately for
different architectures?  For tasks that are equally divided, the faster
system will obviously be idle for longer.

I would like to hear your experience and comments.

Thanks,
Saurav