[mpich-discuss] failed processes

Jayesh Krishna jayesh at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 5 11:01:58 CDT 2010

Hi,
 If you install MPICH2 on Windows using the windows installers (*.msi) you currently do not have support for disabling auto cleanup of MPI processes (SMPD is the only process manager that is included when MPICH2 is installed using the windows installers. Since SMPD does not support disabling auto cleanup of MPI processes you do not get the feature with MPICH2 on windows).
 If you install MPICH2 on Windows using Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/), you should be able to install MPICH2 like in a Unix system (You configure/make/make install to install MPICH2 - See http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/documentation/files/mpich2-1.3-README.txt for details - from a Cygwin prompt). When installing MPICH2 using "configure/make/make install" steps on Cygwin the default process manager available is Hydra. Hydra supports disabling auto cleanup of MPI processes (As Darius suggested pass "-disable-auto-cleanup" as an argument to mpiexec ; mpiexec -n 2 -disable-auto-cleanup ./my_mpi_pgm).
 So, if you need to disable auto cleanup of MPI processes you need to install MPICH2 on Cygwin. Let us know if you need further help.

Regards,
Jayesh