[mpich-discuss] using alternate mpi on osx from xcode

Thomas Blom blomcode at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 16:45:12 CST 2009

Hello,

I'm building a test app via makefile on osx that uses mpich2 (which I
compiled from source and whose binaries end up in /usr/local/bin).

It is a trivial mpi app and builds via this trivial makefile:

test : main.cpp
        mpicxx -g  main.cpp -o testmpi

>From a terminal window, I can make and execute it with the expected results,
with one or multiple processes.

--

If I create an "External Build System" project in Xcode and point to this
makefile and try to build the target, XCode tries to use the mpicxx that is

So one can go to /Developer/usr/bin and mv all the mpi* binaries into
mpi_hidden or some such, at which point Xcode will complain that it can't
find mpicxx.  So one can create a link from /Developer/usr/bin that
references the mpich2 binary /usr/local/bin/mpicxx.  Now things will build
and work as desired.

My question, then...  What is the recommended practice to get Xcode to use
the mpicxx I want without all this problematic moving around/hiding of
binaries?  One option would be to cleanly remove the openmpi that comes with
osx; a better option would be a way to spec the path that Xcode will search
for binaries, but I don't know how to do either.

thanks,
thomas blom,
ut austin