[mpich-discuss] MPICH-related runtime error

Judy Karpen judy.karpen at nasa.gov
Tue Dec 1 11:22:36 CST 2009

Hi,
I am running MPICH2v1.2 on a Mac with OS10.5.8 and the Intel Fortran
compiler. I am trying to run a 1D hydro-AMR code that requires MPI
although it only runs on a single processor (for reasons that are not
relevant here). It compiled OK, but I am getting the following error
when it runs:

> Assertion failed in file /Users/jtk/Downloads/mpich2-1.2/src/mpi/
> coll/helper_fns.c at line 337: 0
> memcpy argument memory ranges overlap, dst_=0x100802730
> src_=0x100802730 len_=4
>
> internal ABORT - process 0
> rank 0 in job 8  gs67-hsdjkmac.gsfc.nasa.gov_63272   caused
> collective abort of all ranks
>   exit status of rank 0: killed by signal 9

I tracked down the code subroutine where it is dying, and determined
that it is calling the helper_fns.c program (which is part of the
MPICH library) when an MPI send/receive is invoked. Unfortunately I am
only a Fortran programmer not C, so the error message isn't telling me
much. If anyone has an idea of what could cause such an error, please
let me know. Thanks for your help!

Judy Karpen
Code 674
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
Greenbelt, MD 20771
email: judy.karpen at nasa.gov

"For every problem there is one solution that is simple, neat, and
wrong" -- H.L. Mencken