[MPICH] bsend behavior differences - any sample pgms ?

Vlad Branzoi vbranzoi at sarnoff.com
Tue Jan 8 16:22:05 CST 2008

Sorry I mixed up the machines in my explanation.  I really don't think it's
a WinXP 32bit vs 64bit issue.  It's on the 64bit WinXP that buffered send
sends the messages as soon as possible and it's on the 32bit WinXP machine
that it only sends it out when I do a detach.  However, I did not observe
this behavior on other WinXP 32bit machines so the OS most likely has
nothing to do with it.  My mistake for confusing the issue with the OSes.
More likely it's some other factor that's influencing this and I was
wondering how MPI decides how to empty out the buffer.

As far as I've seen on this particular machine (albeit with relatively
smallish buffers - 30-50 elements of about 320K each element) it never
empties the buffer except when a detach is called.

Thanks,
Vlad