[MPICH] MPICH 105, SUN NIAGARA dead in the water

Anthony Chan chan at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 26 14:47:28 CDT 2007

You are saying that 1 process takes 15 hours.  The 6 process job takes 10
times as long, 150 hours, and the master node send/recv 26*10^9 times
during that time.  The average send/recv time becomes
   150*3600.0sec / (26*10^9) ~ 20 usec.
The latency of tcp/ethernet is a bit less than 10 usec.  This means either
your app communicates with zero byte message and spending almost half of
time in communication or communicates in small message and does no
computation.  Any shared memory communication is of the order of several
nano seconds, so it is obvious that your app does better with shared
memory device.   In any case, the numbers suggest your app may have a
performance problem.  Hope this helps.

A.Chan