[MPICH] MPI-IO, reading in c++ from fortran generated file

Russell L. Carter rcarter at esturion.net
Tue Apr 24 11:57:51 CDT 2007

Stephen Wornom wrote:
> Rob Ross wrote:
>
>> Hi Russell,
>>
>> Sure you can read them, it's just that MPI-IO doesn't have any
>> mechanism for *interpreting* whatever "stuff" fortran is putting in
>> there.
>
> google for David Cronk, he has applied MPI-IO to fortran production
> codes. The attached ppt if from his web site, perhaps he can participate
> in the discussion.
> Stephen

Hmm, doesn't appear that he's using standard fortran unformatted files
though.  Just to document here for the benefit of other c++ slobs who
haven't had the benefit of experience in the richly diverse ecosystem
of fortran 'unformatted' file formats.  I'm simply writing out the
file from a fortran program compiled with IFC, with format="binary".
This gives me plain 32 bit ints and 64 bit reals, and that's what I need.

Thanks,
Russell