[MPICH] mpich2-1.0.5p4 build failure with PGI 6.2

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Apr 20 15:52:53 CDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 03:44:03PM -0500, William Gropp alleged:
> Ah, but you don't need to use the same compiler to built the MPI
> libraries as the compiler that the user is using, they only need to
> make the same decisions about basic datatype lengths and they need to
> have compatible libraries.  You should be able to use gcc to build
> MPICH2 with Nemesis, then use pgcc for the user program, with
> possibly a little tweeking of the compilation scripts.  Its that
> little tweeking that makes it easier to simply build with the same
> compiler, but it isn't a requirement.

I'm playing with these different combinations now.  I have to support
gcc 3.4 (base compiler with centos4), gcc 4.1, intel 9.1, and pgi 6.2
(and probably now pgi 7.0).

It would make sense to use gcc 3.4 for everything, except that it
doesn't have f90; so I'm wondering which f90 compiler I should use.

With mpich1, I've always just done multiple builds with everything I
need in multiple directories.

University of Southern California