[MOAB-dev] Building MOAB-based applications

Dmitry Karpeev karpeev at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 16 12:13:05 CST 2009

What's the best way to go about buidling a MOAB-based application?
Currently, ${PREFIX}/lib/moab.make defines the relevant include and
lib locations
and the link line, but it doesn't really specify the C[XX] compiler.
Even though C[XX]FLAGS are defined, using an incompatible compiler
(with that used to build the libs)
can be somewhat dangerous.
For now I'm using mpicxx used to configure MOAB, but I think it would
be useful to define the relevant
make rules (e.g., .cpp.o etc) in moab.make.

Also, I'm trying to modify mbparallelcomm_test a bit to better control
performance benchmarking,
but it appears it cannot be easily built as a MOAB-based app (i.e.,
outside of the MOAB source tree).
Part of the reason is that some required headers (e.g.,
SequenceManager.hpp) are not installed
and others (i.e., MBError.hpp) is private and generates an error when
being included.
Is there an easy way to convert mbparallelcomm_test into a stand-along
app that can be built on
top of already installed MOAB?  Perhaps there is an easy solution that
I've been missing?

Thanks!

Dmitry.