[POOL] Results

Martino Henderson tinoxiii at outlook.com
Wed Jan 29 07:20:32 CST 2020

Nice job everyone!

Martino

________________________________
From: mcs-pool <mcs-pool-bounces at mcs.anl.gov> on behalf of John Valdes <j-valdes at comcast.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 2:30:26 AM
To: Moe <mcs-pool at mcs.anl.gov>
Subject: [POOL] Results

We played Bass Ackward tonight.

First up was Cari against Don in a 1:5.  I missed the match (as
usual), so don't know the details, but end result was Cari went down
0:5.

Tami played next against Fred in a 2:3.  Tami took the first game to
get to the hill and put the pressure on Fred.  The next 2 games were
close, but Fred won both to also get to the hill.  In the final game,
Tami got to the 8 first, but left it hanging deep in a pocket.
Fortunately, Fred gave her another shot at it, but unfortunately, the
8 was so deep in the pocket, that when Tami tried cutting across the
pocket to knock it in w/o scratching, tie cueball missed the 8
completely, giving Fred ball-in-hand, which he then used that to get
to 8 and sink it for the match win, 1:3.

In the 3rd match, Paul L played Dave in a 3:3.  Paul was shooting
well, making his shots.  Dave was making shots too, but was struggling
a bit at times.  Paul took advantage and had no trouble taking care of
Dave, taking the first, second and third games, shutting him out 3:0.

Paul H played Candido in the 4th match, a 3:2.  Paul was also shooting
well and was about to take the first game when he gave Candido
ball-in-hand which he used to win the game.  Unphased, Paul continued
to shoot well and took the next 3 games and the match, 3:1.

The final match was me vs Dean in a 1:7.  Now that the precedent had
been set, I knew what I had to do: I won the lag, went for an 8-ball
break even though I never do that as I always scratch on it, and ... I
scratched.  But I did sink a ball (not the 8).  Luckily, Dean gave me
another turn at the table in the game which I used to put together a
nice run.  It looked like I might actually run out, but when making a
bridge shot, I placed the bridge at an angle across the rail rather
than flat on the table, and it slipped while I shot, sending the
cueball wide of my target, giving Dean ball-in-hand and thus the game.
That seemed to derail me for the match, as Dean took control of the
match at that point.  Remarkably, he did give me ball-in-hand a number
of times throughout the match, but each time, I missed my first shot!
The final hill-hill game was an ugly game.  Dean started it out by
sinking 4(!) stripes on the break but also scratching, giving me
ball-in-hand in the kitchen, which I used to shoot on a stripe (of
course), but I missed (again!).  Dean then generously shot on solids,
giving me stripes, but I just could not make a shot.  Dean started
missing too, and eventually, finally, I was able to sink the 3 stripes
Dean had left on the table and the 8 (after missing an easy shot on it
the first time), for the game and match, 1:6.  A really ugly win, but
still a win.

So that was 3 wins on the night; pretty good Team Moe!