[POOL] Argonne Pool League - Week 12

Hovland, Paul hovland at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 4 19:11:45 CST 2019

FWIW, I went through this week’s stat sheet, and there are 8 players with a handicap of 100 or higher. Of those 8 players, only Dean has a winning percentage below 0.500. Thus, I don’t believe that the current handicap table is putting 100+ players at a disadvantage, and making it even easier for them to win matches would be doing the lower handicap players a disservice.

That’s not to say that there aren’t corner cases that aren’t being handled well by the current handicap table, but I think one needs to exercise a lot of care in how the table is modified. I hope that John will vote against any changes to the 100+ table unless those changes are backed by an analysis that suggests the changes are “fair.”

Paul