[POOL] Argonne Pool League - Week 9

Bass, Dean Allen bass at anl.gov
Wed Mar 13 10:18:09 CDT 2019

Week 9 is complete.  5 weeks left in the regular season (ends April 16).  Then 3 weeks of playoffs, the last night is May 7.  Attached are the results, standings and schedule.  Please review for accuracy.

Standings.  Team #8 “Holdin Our Own” has opened up an impressive lead.   Let’s see if we can’t bring them back to the pack.  The next 4 teams are within one match of each other.  Brandon Lien has really taken hold of the MVP race winning again last night.  He is looking tough to beat.

Periscope.  You can find videos of matches from last night for Kevin v Melanie, Dean v Adam, Frank v Jill and Ron V Jess.  The web address is periscope.tv<http://periscope.tv> and search for leaguepool.  More historical match videos can be found by selecting one of the videos and then clicking on “Argonne Pool League”.

Dave is stepping down.  Effective in the fall of 2019, Dave Stevens will no longer be assisting in running the league.  Dave has done a great job and was key in revising the spreadsheet that we use to run our league.  Thanks to Dave for all his work.  Jason Boggs will be replacing him.  Jason has helped run the league in the past, so I expect we will have no problems and he and I will be able to easily coordinate to keep things running smoothly.

Pool Etiquette.  We have a friendly league and I think people generally get a long, but it’s probably not bad to review proper etiquette around the pool table.  In general, try not to distract players by standing too close to the table or moving around in the back ground.  Be aware of players playing on nearby tables.  Also slow play is an occasional complaint.  Think about strategies as your opponent is shooting and while an occasional long deliberation may be required, it should not happen on every shot.  Matches should generally take about an hour, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.  If your matches regularly take closer to 2 hours, you are probably playing too slow.  Here is a general review of etiquette from our rule book:
3.13. Individual Etiquette

          For everyone’s enjoyment, please observe the following rules of etiquette during league play. Each of these rules lies within the boundaries of gentlemanly and ladylike behavior. Please be courteous and use some good common sense each League night. You will appreciate good sportsmanship from your opponent and your opponent deserves good sportsmanship from you and your fellow teammates.

          Verbal Abuse. Verbal or physical abuse will not be tolerated. All members will conduct themselves as ladies and gentlemen or their membership may be suspended and canceled. This includes remarks that would be considered “sexual harassment” by Lab policy.

          Sportsmanship. Good sportsmanship is important and it is not sportsmanlike to aggravate your opponent by bothering him while he is shooting, by “slow playing” or by any other method.

          Player Selection. Each team should have selected their player before the current match has completed in the event that they lose that match and are required to declare their player.  The point is to move quickly from one match to the next. A team should take no longer than one minute to select a player for a match.

          Be Ready. If you are going to be playing the next match, have your cue ready and be ready to play as soon as the previous match is over. When it’s your turn to play, that does not mean it’s time to go to the rest room, order another drink, make a phone call or get involved in some other activity – go to the table and start playing.

          Stay By The Table. While playing, remain fairly near the table (but at least six feet back) and be ready to shoot when it’s your turn. Too many players continue to carry on conversations, light up another cigarette, order another drink or do something that slows the game down.

          Pay Attention. Generally, relax while you're not involved in a match; but when it’s your match, pay attention until the match is over.

          Perform Your Duties Promptly.  If it is your turn to rack the balls, then begin racking the balls as soon as the previous game has ended.  If you are the breaking player, then use this racking time constructively to remove dirt or lint from the table, wipe the cue ball clean, change shafts on your cue, chalk your tip, powder your hands, clean your shaft, or any other necessary duties; don’t wait until after the balls are racked and waste everyone’s time.  Help the racker gather the balls from the pockets or from the other end of the table.

Week    Date    Table 1 Table 2 Table 3 Table 4
Number

10      19-Mar-19       3       -       8       4       -       6       2       -       5       1       -       7

Team    Team Name       Total Wins      Ranking
8       Holdin' Our Own 29      1
2       The Moe Szyslak Experience      24      2
3       Bass Ackward    24      2
5       Nice Game, 7 Bucks      23      4
6       X-CUE-SES       23      4
7       No Sweat        21      6
4       Nice Rack       19      7
1       Cue Therapy     17      8