[POOL] APL Final Results Fall 2018

Bass, Dean Allen bass at anl.gov
Wed Dec 19 13:34:06 CST 2018

Congratulations to Team #3 “Bass Ackwards” for finishing first place in our Fall 2018 session.  Matthew Li won the league MVP and Dean Bass was runner up.  Prize money will be distributed when we return on January 8.  Thanks again to the Q for giving us gift cards for league MVP and the 1st place team.

New Players - If any teams need players for next session, please let me know.  I have had a few requests for players as well, so anyone who knows anyone who would like to join, please let me know.

Proposed Rule Changes -  We are considering a few small changes.  I went around last night to explain these to most of league, but in case you missed it, here is a summary:
Change to the handicap table - while our handicap system is best I’ve seen, I feel there are some areas of inequity for which I have assembled a new proposed table.  The purpose was to make the handicap differential slightly larger for races where the lower handicap only went to 1 game, and to introduce a 9:1+ and a 6:1+ category for the top two handicap tables.  The 1+ designation would mean that not only does the player only have to one game, but they can take ball in hand one time during their match.  They can only do it when it is their turn and they cannot do it on the 8 ball.  This designation is only for the most extreme handicap differentials.

Current
Handicap Table
Higher HC       Difference      Matchup Higher HC       Difference      Matchup
< 10    0       -       19      2       :       2       10-39   0       -       10      2       :       2
20      -       up      2       :       1       11      -       29      3       :       2
                                                30      -       up      3       :       1
40-69   0       -       10      3       :       3       100-up  0       -       5       5       :       5
11      -       26      3       :       2       6       -       14      5       :       4
27      -       53      4       :       2       15      -       21      6       :       4
54      -       up      4       :       1       22      -       28      5       :       3
70-99   0       -       6       4       :       4       29      -       36      6       :       3
7       -       18      4       :       3       37      -       46      7       :       3
19      -       29      5       :       3       47      -       56      6       :       2
30      -       39      4       :       2       57      -       62      7       :       2
40      -       48      5       :       2       63      -       82      8       :       2
49      -       68      6       :       2       83      -       101     7       :       1
69      -       88      5       :       1       102     -       106     8       :       1
89      -       up      6       :       1       107     -       up      9       :       1

Proposed
Handicap Table
Higher HC       Difference      Matchup Higher HC       Difference      Matchup
< 10    0       -       25      2       :       2       10-39   0       -       15      2       :       2
26      -       up      2       :       1       16      -       40      3       :       2
                                                41      -       up      3       :       1
40-69   0       -       12      3       :       3       100-up  0       -       9       5       :       5
13      -       30      3       :       2       10      -       19      5       :       4
31      -       60      4       :       2       20      -       29      6       :       4
61      -       up      4       :       1       30      -       39      6       :       3
70-99   0       -       10      4       :       4       40      -       49      7       :       3
11      -       23      4       :       3       50      -       65      6       :       2
24      -       37      5       :       3       66      -       80      7       :       2
38      -       55      5       :       2       81      -       95      8       :       2
56      -       75      6       :       2       96      -       110     7       :       1
76      -       89      5       :       1       111     -       124     8       :       1
90      -       100     6       :       1       105     -       139     9       :       1
101     -       up      6       :       1+      140     -       up      9       :       1+

Make up matches - With the loss of one of the 9 foot tables, the makeup matches are more difficult to catch up on.  So to further discourage makeup matches, we are suggesting that if a team does not have 5 players, they will be penalized $5 and the team they are playing would receive $5 (for the inconvenience).  No money or payment would be required, it would simply be tallied and taken from or added to the prize money.  The make up match would then be played with the regular match up and fees.  If neither team has 5 players there would be no penalty.  If a team has requested players for their team from the league, they would be allowed leeway.

Additional comments/suggestions - There were several different comments and suggestions that were made.  These include; no change to the handicap table; no races where a player only goes to one game; a steeper penalty for make up matches; no change in the way make up matches are handled; allowing team members to play more than 1 time per night; capping the maximum and minimum handicaps; requiring players to play similar handicap matches.

I welcome any feed back or comments, but ultimately this will be decided based on a vote from the captains.  Because I am advocating these changes, anyone who would like to make comments to consider, get them to me by COB Thursday and I’ll share them with the league.  I want to the captains vote by Friday.  Please note that these changes are minor and if they are not helpful, we can change or remove them.

It was a good year.  Thanks to every one for making it easy on Dave and me.  Happy Holidays and see you next year!

Team    Team Name       Total Wins      Ranking
3       Bass Ackward    44      1
7       No Sweat        38      2
1       Cue Therapy     36      3
5       Nice Game, 7 Bucks      35      4
2       The Moe Szyslak Experience      34      5
8       Holdin' Our Own 34      5
4       Nice Rack       32      7
6       X-CUE-SES       27      8