[POOL] Argonne Pool League Winners Announced and the playoffs

Bass, Dean Allen bass at anl.gov
Wed Apr 6 12:59:09 CDT 2016

Well the final regular league night was completed and the team winner and league MVP have been determined.  None of the first place contenders were playing each other, but like Villanova - North Carolina, they all ended up very close.  Congratulations to the winners!  Please review the attached results.

FIRST PLACE TEAM (3-Way Tie)

Team #2 The Moe Szyslak Experience
Team #4 Nice Rack
Team #6 X-CUE-SES

Complete team results and tournament seeding

Team    Team Name       Total Wins      Ranking Tourn. Seed
2       The Moe Szyslak Experience      39      1       1
4       Nice Rack       39      1       2
6       X-CUE-SES       39      1       3
3       Bass Ackward    35      4       6
7       No Sweat        35      4       4
1       Get More with Les       33      6       5
5       Nice Game, 7 Bucks      33      6       7
8       Holdin' Our Own 27      8       8

LEAGUE MVP

John Valdez

PRIZES
The break down of prizes should be similar to last year, but I’m still working out what we have.  Team prizes for the regular season and playoffs will be given the last week of the playoffs.  Last night Joaquin, the manager of Q-Billiards gave me a $100 gift certificate for the number 1 team in the league.  In addition, he volunteered to sponsor the MVP award this session and gave us a $20 certificate.  Q-Billiards (Joaquin) has been good to us, especially regarding keeping the tables after 10pm.   Please make a point to thank him for these prizes and working with us.

So the $20 gift certificate will be given to John next week to purchase drinks for his team.   I will need to figure out how to distribute the $100 certificate he gave me to the 3 first place teams, I’ll try to let you know next week how it will be handled and so the certificate can be used yet this spring.

PLAYOFFS
This year’s playoffs were seeded by combined wins for the fall and spring.  Ties were broken based on the finish in the spring.  As Dave mentioned last week, the winner of 3 matches wins the playoff round and advances.  So some teams may finish early.  I am however concerned about running too late for the teams that go 5 games.  As such, I would encourage you to use table 5 to play “accelerated matches” when possible.   If it looks like teams are falling behind, I may require simultaneous play on two tables to get the matches done.   All teams play all 3 weeks of the playoffs and places 1 through 8 are determined for the playoffs.  The last week will be free pool and food.  I’ll have to look at the budget to see what we have, but usually pizza goes the farthest for our money.

Good luck to everyone in the playoffs.