[POOL] We're short players!

John Valdes valdes at anl.gov
Wed Apr 16 03:58:41 CDT 2014

> Roger's currently playing Jim in a 1:4.

Roger took down Jim, 1:1.  Roger was Mr Banks in the first game,
sinking three balls with the help of the cushion.  He got to the 8, and
banked it in too, but unfortunately to the wrong pocket.  Taking note
of Roger's skills, Jim took a more aggressive approach in the second
game.  Unfortunately for him, that resulted in caroming the cueball
into the 8 on a shot, sending the 8 into a pocket, for game and match
for Roger.

I played Frank in the 4th game, a 2:5.  I was shooting OK, but not
well enough to defeat Frank.  I went down, 0:5.  That's all I have to
say about that.

Paul flew in for the last match against Mike, a 3:2.  Armed with my
cue, Paul had the upper hand, but Mike kept the pressure on.  After
trading wins, Paul won the 3rd game to take the match to the hill.
Paul got to the 8 first, but didn't have a good shot at it and
missed.  Mike caught up, and it looked like all was lost after Paul
left the 8 close to a corner pocket for him, but Mike missed his shot
on the 8, and Paul was able to finally sink it for the match win, 3:1.

For the makeup, Roger played Ron in a 1:8.  Roger made a respectable
match out of it, even managing to get Ron into a spot where he needed
a coach in 2 games, but alas, Ron didn't make any mistakes, so Roger
couldn't take him down.  Roger was shut out 0:8.

So we won 3, lost 3.  We started the night tied for 6th with Nice Rack
(Melanie's team) and 1 game behind Retarded Monkeys for 5th.  I think
Nice Rack also won 3 games, and Retarded Monkeys had lost 3 when I
last checked.  So we have ended up in a 3-way tie for 5th, but we
won't know for sure 'til all the wins are tallied.

Next week: playoffs!