[POOL] Results!

John Valdes valdes at anl.gov
Wed Feb 12 14:01:37 CST 2014

Results!  Somewhat abridged in the interest of my sending them out...

Last night we played Holdin' Our Own, Jenny's team:

Martino went first against Jenny in a 2:4.  Jenny was shooting well,
but Martino applied the pressure, making some tough shots.  Jenny won
the first two games, but Martino took the third.  Martino continued to
make some tough shots, but unfortately scratched on a couple, giving
Jenny ball in hand which she put to use, ultimately taking Martino
down, 1:4.

I played Josh next in a 3:2.  I shot well in the first game, quickly
getting to the 8 well ahead of Josh, but unfortunately I fouled while
sinking it (I hit one of Josh's balls before hitting the 8), giving
the first win to Josh.  I slowed down a bit in subsequent games,
making some nice combos and banks, but also missing some easy shots
and giving Josh amble opportunity to shoot.  Fortunately when I
missed, I didn't leave too much for Josh, so ultimately I was able to
win 3 games and the match, 3:1.

Tami played the third match against Jim, a 2:2.  Tami put in a good
effort, but Jim was shooting better than usual and shut Tami out, 0:2.
We'll need to remember to queue up a bunch of rap and hip-hop on the
jukebox to keep Jim distracted next time.

Paul went next against new player Andrew Chuang (from ES) in a 2:5.
Andrew is very good and came out shooting, getting to the 8 first in
the 1st game.  After taking a safety on his first attempt, he sank it
on the second, but fortunately for us, in the wrong pocket, giving
Paul the win.  Paul came out strong in the 2nd game, sinking all but 1
of his balls, but Andrew rallied to take the game.  Paul continued to
play tough through the match, playing strong defense when he didn't
have a good shot, but Andrew managed to bank out of most of the hard
spots Paul put him in.  Ultimately, Paul went down, 1:5.

In the final match, we fed Roger to new player James and his 120
handicap.  James is a pool playing machine.  Roger put up a good
fight, but there was no stopping James.  Roger lost, 0:8.

Before playing James, Roger played a makeup match from last week
against Amanda of Nice Rack, a 2:2.  After trading wins, with Roger
taking the first game, it looked like Amanda was on her way to take
the decisive third game, just 1 ball away from shooting on the 8.
Roger rallied, however, and was able to sink the 8 before her, winning
the game and the match, 2:1.