[POOL] Early Results

John Valdes valdes at anl.gov
Tue Oct 29 22:27:28 CDT 2013

Early night tonight.  We played Bob Daun's team, "Nice Game, Five
Bucks" (which should now be called "Nice Game, Eight Bucks").  They
only had 3 players, so we have 1 match to be made up.

First up was Paul against Jeff Fortner in a 2:2.  Paul and Jeff were
pretty much matching either other shot for shot.  Unfortunately, there
is only one 8-ball, so only one of them could sink it per game, and
that turned out to be Jeff in both.  Paul went down 0:2.

Tami played the second match against Danny Oshiro, a 1:5.  Tami was
making some good shots, but so was Danny as he got out to a 2 game
lead.  In the third, Tami found herself down by 4 or 5 balls when she
went on a run, leaving only 1 of her balls unsunk.  Danny was set to
runout though, but missed, giving Tami another turn at the table.  She
put it to good use, sinking her remaining ball and the 8 for a game
and match win, 1:2.

Martino played the third match, a 1:4, against Jim Adduci.  Martino's
aim was a little off in the first game, which Jim won, but he got it
back on target in the second.  Getting to the 8 first, he had the
option of either banking it into a corner pocket or using it to tie up
one of Jim's balls that was blocking the closer corner pocket.  Martino
opted for the bank but missed.  Fortunately, Jim failed to sink his
remaining balls giving Martino another shot on the 8.  Jim's ball was
still blocking the closest corner pocket, but this time Martino opted
to send the 8 to that pocket anyway.  The 8 knocked Jim's ball into
the pocket, and not having lost all its momentum, followed it in for a
win!  Martino took the match, 1:1.

The fourth match is to be made up in the future.  We started the night
still tied for 6th place, but only 1 game behind the 4th & 5th place
teams and 3 behind the 2nd & 3rd place teams.  Next week we play
Retarded Monkeys again.