[POOL] Game called for 6PM

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 30 12:31:39 CDT 2013

A reminder of the playoff rules:

1) Playoffs are single elimination, which means that if a team loses a
   night, that team is no longer eligible for the championship.

2) The 4 teams that win the first week (tonight) advance to the
   winners bracket and are thus guaranteed a 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th
   place finish in the playoffs.  So a team that wins the first week
   but loses the 2nd and 3rd week will finish in 4th, ahead of a team
   that loses the 1st week, but wins the 2nd and 3rd week, who will
   finish in 5th place.

   Being that we're all geeks, it may be clearer this way: if 1
   represents a win and 0 a loss, and if each week is a place for a
   binary digit (1st week at the left, 3rd week at the right), then
   the final standings after the playoffs will be represented as:

     1st: 111
     2nd: 110
     3rd: 101
     4th: 100
     5th: 011
     6th: 010
     7th: 001
     8th: 000

   So if we win tonight, we're guaranteed no worse that 4th place.

3) The winning team for a night is the first team to win 3 matches
   against its opposing team.  If a team wins the first 3 matches of
   the night, then they've won the round; no more matches are played.
   As a result, you should come out early (at 6 if possible) so we can
   strategize and so we can cheer each other on.

See you at Q tonight; go Moe!