[POOL] This Week's Results

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 24 23:03:21 CDT 2013

We closed out the reagular season last night against Bass Ackward,
Dean's team.

Craig went 1st against Gary in a 2:3.  I missed his match, but I'm
told Craig made a beautiful shot--a beautiful scratch shot on the 8
that is...  Unfortunately he went down, 0:3.

Paul H played next against Fred in a 2:2.  Paul generally had the
upper hand through out the match, but after winning the first game, a
combination of missed shots by Paul and unexpected runs by Fred led to
Fred winning the second game, taking the match to the hill.
Fortunately, Paul got back on track in the final game and left Fred
with little to shoot at when he did miss, so Paul was able to pull out
the win, 2:1.  With that win, Paul cemented his place at the top the
individual league standings, winning 11 of 13 games this session;
great job Paul!

I played Dean in the 3rd match, a 1:10.  Coming off a good win last
week, I was confident I could take 1 game from Dean.  Unfortunately,
my aim was no where to be found, as I had trouble sinking 1 ball much
less putting a run together the few times Dean gave me a turn at the
table (and he gave me enough for me to have gotten a win).  I went
down ingloriously, 0:10.  At least I've confirmed that the handicap
system is well tuned, as I ended the season going 7 for 14, thus ending
with exactly the same handicap with which I started.

Fourth was Paul R against Dave in a 2:4.  Paul shot OK, putting the
pressure on Dave and getting some good runs lined up, but
unfortunately his aim was off too, and he was unable to execute.  His
good plans went for naught, with Dave winning the match 0:4.

Roger played Glen in the final match of the night and regular season,
a 2:5.  Before their match, they played a practice game to warm up,
which Glen pretty much dominated.  Roger took note though, and in the
match games, he kept Glen from making much progress.  Roger got off to
quick leads, which translated into wins; 2:0 for Roger, shutting out
Glen.

For their two wins, Paul H and Roger were rewarded to free pool,
courtesy of Eric and Brian. :)

We entered the night in 4th place, 1 game behind 3rd (Nice Rack),
and 1 game ahead of 5th (More with Les).  Don't know how Nice Rack
did, but Les's team won 3 games, so that means they tied us for the
final standings.

Next week, playoffs!