[POOL] Argonne Pool League Items

Paul Hovland hovland at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Feb 5 15:12:00 CST 2013

Probably too late to chime in, but here's my two cents anyway…

-I'd rather use the "practice" table for makeup matches, or to complete current week matches earlier.  Once all of the official matches are complete, all of the tables can be used for practice, which helps eliminate the problem of highly skilled players dominating a single practice table.

-Reducing handicaps would be at best a temporary fix, and one that disproportionately favors the high-handicap players.  A more effective strategy would be to adjust the handicap tables, if there's evidence that some range of handicaps is being disadvantaged by the current tables, or in order to come up with a new set of tables where the expected value of the number of games is reduced.  I would be loathe to do this, since a lot of careful analysis went into the current tables, and they seem to work well.

-I think that some monitoring of the pace of play of the 2:2 matches would be more effective than setting a hard upper limit of an hour.  I know that I and some other low handicap players can be somewhat deliberate in our pace.  Maybe bring out the egg timer for any matches where the first two games require more than 40 minutes?  Just making people aware of their pace should be enough….

Paul