[POOL] Results

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 17 23:58:38 CDT 2012

Results before midnight; that means we finished early, which means
someone did some sweeping.  Indeed, someone did some sweeping... Moe!
For the 2nd time in as many weeks, we shut out our opponent, this time
putting the hurt on tough Mr mR, 3:0!

First to play was Rob against Red in a 1:5 match.  Rob held his own
and was making shots, but Red had the upper hand, winning the first 3
games.  Red got to the 8 first in the 4th game, but he attempted an
ill-advised cut, and instead of sending the 8 into a pocket, he sent
the cue into a pocket, giving the game and match to Rob, 1:3.

Brian T went next against Danny in a 3:4.  Both were shooting well,
trading wins throughout the match.  In the 3rd game, Brian attempted a
cross table bank on the 8; after the 8 banked off the rail, it nicked
the cue, redirecting straight across the table into the corner pocket
Brian had called for a win.  Danny countered by effectively running
the table in the next game, but Brian was undaunted in the 5th,
finding himself shooting another bank on the 8.  This time, he had to
bank the cue first in order to hit the 8, which he did perfectly,
sending the 8 rolling along the rail and into the called pocket, for a
match win, 3:2.

Third match was me against Bob in a 1:9.  After winning the lag by a
hair, Bob got down to business, winning the first game and pretty much
breaking and running the second game.  He was on his way to winning
the 3rd when left himself with a tough shot which he missed, giving me
a turn at the table. I only managed to sink one or two of my balls,
but on my miss, managed to leave Bob in a tough spot.  He tried a shot
but missed his ball, giving me ball in hand.  Fortuantely, I was able
to capitalize, running all but my last ball, which I just missed
sinking on a tough bank.  Luckily, it left Bob's last ball blocked,
giving me another turn after Bob failed to sink his ball.  I was left
with another bank attempt, but this time I made it, sinking Bob's ball
too in the process, but leaving me with a makable cut on the 8.  I
lined it up, took my shot, and rolled the 8 straight into my called
pocket, for the game and match, woo!

Next week we play for the championship against the winner of The
Intensity Frontier (Kevin's team) vs Cue Strokers (Melaine's team).
Another good night, Moe!