[POOL] Closing out Spring 2012 Season

Paul Hovland hovland at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 21 09:56:26 CDT 2012

On Mar 20, 2012, at 8:40 AM, Ti Leggett wrote:

> But maybe you could trade draft picks for beer...

Yeah, but it would probably be beer from Q (actually, the Green Line has been pretty good so far  -- let's hope it moves quickly and the lines stay clean(ish)).

I'm less vehemently opposed to a draft than most (but still opposed).  I could still hang out with folks, even if they're not on my team, and being forced to get to know another set of people a bit better isn't all bad.  I would maybe even view it as highly positive, if all of the league participants were from Argonne.

My primary objections are the organizational ones: our team has a good mechanism (spirit and the mailing list) for knowing whether we'll have enough players, who will get there when, etc.  Other teams are not as well coordinated, and if teams changed every year, even maintaining the necessary mailing lists would be cumbersome.  Craig's point about distributions of winnings is also an important one.  I'm also not sure how one would add players mid-season, and very few new players sign up prior to week 1.  There's also less incentive to recruit new players if they won't be on your team.

I'm not worried about the draft being "even" and I think that the requirement that teams draft equal numbers of players from the various skill levels would be superfluous, since the handicap system works well.  I'm not even sure how this would work, since there's a bit of a gap between the 4 players at 142+ and the next cluster in the low 100s.  Frankly, because of the handicap system, a draft seems unnecessary, and random distribution of players to teams would accomplish the same thing with less hassle.

My two (or so) cents...

Paul