[POOL] Results and more Results

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 21 01:55:17 CDT 2012

First, last week's results which I never sent (sorry!):

We played Get More with Les, and, well, we got less with Les.  They
shut us out, although we played well, and if I'm remembering
correctly, I think all of us had a match-winning short runout or shot
on the 8 at some point in our matches.  They played good defense
though, and that was the difference in many of the games.  Results
were:

Craig vs Fred in a 2:6, Craig lost 1:6.
Paul R vs Yaw in a 2:3, Paul lost 0:3 (OK, no match winning shot
    on the 8, but Paul did shoot on the 8 in two of the games).
Paul H vs Les in a 1:7, Paul lost 0:7.
John vs Stephen in a 3:3, John lost 2:3.

Their 5th (Steve) left before playing a match (he had played a makeup
match), so our 5th (first Rob then Az) didn't play.  We made that
match up this week:

Eric vs Steve in a 2:8, Eric lost 1:8.

So 0:5 against Les's team. :(

This week we played X-Cue-Ses.

First was Brian T against Bobby in a 3:6.  Brian was a little rusty,
the pool hall was pretty warm, and unfortunately Bobby was hot, not in
a good way.  Bobby didn't give Brian a chance, handing him a loss, 0:6.

Craig was next against Jason in a 2:2.  I didn't see the match, but
Jason said later he was feeling good, and Craig, still new to the
American Democratic Process, was likely distracted, so he went down,
0:2, like a Republican in a Chicago Congressional district race.

Eric played Gaylen in the 3rd match, a 2:4.  This time Eric was the
one feeling good, matching Gaylen on his shots, which translated into
Eric breaking out of his negative streak with a much needed match win,
2:0; woo!

Fourth match was Paul vs Paul, our Paul H against their Paul C, in a
1:8.  Our Paul started slowly, losing the first couple of games, but
steadly kept improving, getting to the 8 in one game, then getting to
the 8 first in the next, and finally getting to the 8 and sinking it
for a match win, 1:5.

Last match was John against Lenore in a 2:10.  Lenore was shooting
well, as expected, but she did miss occasionally, and fortunately I
was able to capitalize.  I won the 2nd game but blew a good chance to
run the table midway through the match.  In the 9th game, I was
setting up for the 8 by banking my last ball into a side pocket, but
it just missed.  Fortunately, I hit it hard enough that it rebounded
off the rail and rolled across the table to the opposite side pocket
where it dropped.  The cue ball was left nicely lined up for an easy
shot on the 8, which I made for our third match win of the night, 2:7.

So we won 3, lost 3 (counting the makeup match); a good result given
our opponent.  We started the night in a 4-way tie for 3rd place with
teams 1, 7 and 9, 4 wins behind 2nd place team 3, and 6 wins behind
1st place team 10.  Our 3 wins tonight will hopefully put us ahead of
some of the other 3rd place teams.

Next week we play Cue Strokers.