[POOL] Tue's results

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 1 18:48:32 CST 2012

Tough night against a tough team, Mr mR (Bob Daun's team).

Rob went first, and unfortunately for him, Bob was the only player for
Mr mR there at the start, so Rob had to play Bob in a 1:10.  The only
way to beat Bob is if Bob beats himself, and that almost happened
midway through the match with Bob missing shots, giving Rob a runout
to the 8.  Unfortuantely, Rob had lots of green to cover and wasn't
able to sink the 8 before Bob caught up to take the game.  That put
enough scare into Bob that he settled down and pretty much broke and
ran the remainder of his games, taking the match, 0:10.

Paul R went next against Jeff in a 1:4.  Paul's aim and shot selection
are improving, and he was able put enough runs together to get to the
8 first in one of the games.  He was snookered behind one of Jeff's
balls though, leaving him w/ a tough bank on the 8; unfortunately, the
8 was close to a corner pocket, and the pocket promptly sucked the
cueball down as it passed by, giving the game to Jeff.  Paul give it a
good effort in the remaining game, but ultimately Jeff prevailed,
taking the match 0:4.

Paul H started the third match against Adam, a 1:9, while Paul R was
playing Jeff.  Adam has been pretty much lights out as of late, but
nevertheless Paul was able to get to the 8 in one of the games.
Unfortuantely, he had a hard cut with lots of green to cross and
wasn't able to take Adam down.  Like father, like son, Adam settled
down and didn't give Paul another opportunity; Paul went down, 0:9.

I played Dick in the fourth match, 3:4.  Dick had my number, and
unfortunately for me, that number was zero.  He shut me out, never
letting me get close to a win, 0:4.

The last match was Az against Jim in a 3:6.  Az was our last hope, and
he didn't disappoint.  After almost letting Jim win the first game, Az
took control and won the next 2 games without trouble, taking the
match 3:0.

So all matches were shutouts, with us unfortunately being the
shutoutees in 4 of them.  At the start of the night, we were in 1st by
1 game over Kevin's team, but they unfortunately won 1 of their makeup
games from last week and took 3 of 5 against Dean's team, so they'll
be back in 1st and we'll be back in 2nd next week.  I believe Dean's
team was in third at the start of the night, 2 games behind us, so
they should still be behind us in the standings.

Next week, we play Kevin's team, in what should be a battle for 1st
place.