[POOL] Results

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 22 18:56:32 CST 2012

We played Retarded Monkeys (Dennis's team) last night.

First was Paul R against Ken in a 2:2.  Both opponents were equally
skilled, and the games could have gone either way, and that's the way
it unfolded, but unfortunately Ken won the first, so while Paul won
the second, Ken won the third, which meant he won the match, 1:2.

I went next against Dennis in a 3:7.  Dennis is always tough, and
while he was a little off, so was I, and I gave up the 3 first games
to Dennis.  I was able to finally get a win in the 4th game, but then
gave up two more before finally making a rally to win the 7th.  In
the 8th game, Dennis went for a safety but ending up missing his ball,
giving me ball in hand which allowed me to easily sink my last ball
and the 8 for my 3rd win and the match, 3:5.

Eric played Ray in the 3rd match, a 2:6.  Ray is good, and Eric
struggle to make shots, losing the first 5 games before finally
getting his aim on track and making a strong run to win the 6th.  Eric
continued to shoot well in the final hill game and was shooting on the
8 a couple of times for the match win.  Unforunately, the 8 refused to
go down, until Ray finall caught up to it and sank it for the win,
handing Eric a well-fought 1:6 loss.

In the 4th match, Paul H played Tim in a 3:2.  Tim made a surprising
run in the first game, but Paul was able to counter to take back the
game for his first win of the match.  Paul continued to shoot well
while Tim's aim started to waver, so Paul had no problem taking the
second game, and then the third, for a match win, 3:0.

The last match was Az against Rich in a 3:4.  Az was
uncharacteristically off at the start, giving up two early wins to
Rich, but he quickly got back on track and got a win, then another
after sinking the 8 on the break (woo!) and finally a third to win the
match, 3:3.

Results then were Moe 3, Retarded Monkeys 2.  We started the night 1
game behind Kevin's team for first, and 3 head of 3 3rd place teams.
Kevin's team only played 3 matches last night, and only won 1 of them,
iirc, so technically we should now be in first, as least for now.

Next week, we play Mr mR, Bob Daun's team.

Good job Moe!