[POOL] Last night's results

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 15 16:26:39 CST 2012

We played Bass Ackward, Dean's team.

First was Craig against Gary in a 2:2.  I missed the match, but Craig
took the 1st but unfortunately lost the next 2, losing his match 1:2.

Next was Paul R against Manjula in a 2:3.  Both struggled to make
shots, but Paul made them when they counted.  After trading wins, Paul
eventually won out after Manjula gave him ball-in-hand on the 8,
winning the match 2:2.

I played next against Fred in a 3:2.  After winning the first game
without too much effort, I struggled to find my aim in the rest.
Somehow I managed to win the 2nd game, but lost the third.  With me
down by about 3 balls in the hill game, fortunately Fred gave up
ball-in-hand, and with the help of some slow and deliberate shooting,
I was able to make a run sinking my remaining balls and the 8 for the
match win, 3:1.

Roger made a return to play Dean in a 1:10.  Dean was off a bit, but a
bad day for Dean would be an awesome day for any of us, :) so that was
of little help for Roger.  Nevertheless, Roger played tough, and
midway through the match, Roger found himself shooting on the 8 after
putting together a nice run.  Unfortunately, he was unable to close
the deal, and despite a couple more opportunities, Dean was just too
much.  Roger went down, 0:10.

Az played the last match against Jeremy in a 3:5.  Jeremy is a tough
opponent and was making some good shots.  Fortunately, Az is a tough
opponent too and was also making good shots, and despite giving up 3
wins to Jeremy after winning the 1st game, Az put the pressure on and
was able to win 2 more before Jeremy got 5.  Az won the tough battle,
3:4.

So all matches went to the hill-hill game, with us winning 3, losing
2.  A good showing against a tough team.  Starting the night we were
in 2nd place, 1 game out of 1st and 2 games ahead of the 3rd place
team.  Our 3 wins should keep us ahead of the 3rd place team and maybe
bring us back into a tie for 1st.