[POOL] Tueday's Results

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 2 20:23:40 CST 2012

We played X-Cue-Ses, Ron Shepard's team.  We played well. :)

Craig played Jason in a 2:2 to open the night.  Craig shut him out,
winning his match 2:0.

Paul played Bobby next in a 1:7.  After losing the first game, Paul
got Bobby to foul on the 8 (Paul told me how, but I forgot if he sank
it out of turn, in the wrong pocket, or scratched) for a win and the
match, 1:1.

Next was Eric against Gaylen in a 2:2.  It was a close match, but
Eric's aim was just a bit off.  After going down one game and
unknowingly giving up ball-in-hand in the second (by failing to send a
ball to a rail or pocket after the cue ball contacted his object ball),
Eric got a little unnerved, and lost the second game for a match loss,
0:2.

I played Ron for the 4th match in a 1:10.  I won the lag (by maybe
half an inch), and figuring the break would be the only shot I'd get
to take for the whole match, I uncharacteristically went for an 8-ball
break (tried to sink the 8 on the break).  And sure enough...I
scratched, giving Ron ball in hand, the one thing you don't want to do
especially with Ron, which is why I don't usually try an 8-ball
break. :)  However, Ron actually missed twice during the game, giving
me a couple of turns at the table.  Unfortunately, I was unable to
capitalize on the opportunities and lost the 1st game.  In the 2nd
game, Ron failed to sink a ball on the break (or maybe he scratched, I
forget), but I only managed to sink 2 balls during my turn.  Ron then
proceeded to run the table, restoring order to the universe, until he
missed a moderate cut on his last object ball.  I then got a turn, and
with the universe apparently still out of balance, I managed to run my
remaining 5 balls and sink the 8 for the game and match, 1:1.  Woo!

Az played the last match of the night against George in a 3:7.  Az was
shooting well, which put George in a hesitant, defensive mode, which
meant George didn't have a chance.  Az took him down, winning the 1st,
3rd and 4th games, to take the match, 3:1.

So we won 4 out of 5; great job Moe!  We were only 1 game out of 1st
at the start of the night, so changes are good that we've moved to the
top spot.  Interestingly, with the exception of Az's match, none of
the matches went beyond 2 games; we were done w/ the 4th match by
8:30.  Also interestingly, all the players who ate chili also won
their matches; just sayin... :)

Next week we play Cue Strokers.