[POOL] Results

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 7 01:29:35 CST 2011

We played Kevin's team, Grab Your Stick

Paul H went first, and quickly dispatched with Fred, winning his 2:4
match in 30 min with a decisive, in-your-face 2:0 shutout.  Our first
team win in over 9 matches, woo!

Craig went next in a 2:4 against Kevin.  Kevin managed to sink the 8
in all the games played, including in the first where he sank it out
of turn (or was it a scratch?).  Unfortunately for Craig, the other
pocketings were all legit for a win, meaning Craig went down, 1:4.

Our 3rd opponent was late to arrive, so while we waited, Paul H played
the makeup match from last week against Gene (the Machine), in a 3:2.
Paul's cue had cooled a bit, and he gave up a game early, but ultimately
he prevailed, winning 3:1, and thus saving us from a complete shutout
for "last" week (so we went 1:4, mirroring the Hawk's final score of
the same night).

The 3rd opponent, Jim, finally arrived, and Paul R took him on in a
2:3.  After losing the first game, Paul made a good run to get to the
8 in the second game.  Paul just missed sinking it into the corner,
and after he and Jim chased it around the table for a bit, Jim finally
sunk it to take the 2nd game.  Despite another good effort in the 3rd
game, Paul wasn't able to secure a win and went down, 0:3.

For the 4th match I played Dee in a 3:2.  I was shooting well, but Dee
was making shots too when she needed them, and we traded wins for the
first three games (I won the 1st, she the 2nd, I the 3rd).  In the
hill game, Dee left me a short bank on my last ball, which I sank
(sweet), but then I missed a tough but makeable shot on the 8.  After
sinking a couple more of her balls, Dee then left the cueball deep in
the corner pocket, snookered behind the cushion, forcing me to shoot a
long bank across the table.  I managed to hit the 8 after the bank,
but I didn't sent the cue nor the 8 to a rail (or pocket) afterwards,
giving Dee ball-in-hand for her last object ball which she sank and
then easily made the 8 for the match win, handing me (another) loss,
2:2.

Kevin's team didn't have a 5th (Brian R showed up as our's), so that
match is to be made up next week.

So we went 1 & 3 on tonight's matches, 2 & 3 counting the make up
game, both wins thanks to Obi-wan Paul H.  Better!  BTW, in case you
were wondering, we have a stranglehold on 8th place.

Next week is X-Cue-Ses, Ron Shepard's team.