[POOL] Results

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 5 02:11:04 CDT 2011

Results from tonight's matches against Bass Ackward.

Rob played Candido in a 2:3.  Rob wasn't playing bad in his first
match of the season, winning a game after being down 2, but he wasn't
able to close out the deciding game and lost his match, 1:3.

Paul R played next against Jill in a 2:4.  Paul started the match with
a flourish by winning the lag with a 3-rail lag shot (foot rail to
head rail back to the foot and ending at the head).  All that energy
made the first 2 games a bit rocky, but Paul was able to string
together a number of nice shots in the 3rd game for his first league
win; woo!  Paul's still getting a feel for the game, though, and was
unable to get another win against Jill, losing the match 1:4.

Roger played Dean in a 1:10 for the 3rd match.  Not much that can be
done when you're playing Dean, but Roger did get to the 8 midway
through the match.  It wasn't to be though, and Roger went down, 0:10.

Paul H played the 4th match against Manjula in an even 2:2.  Paul was
a little shakey at the start--probably due to hunger as the result of
the waitress giving his food order to some other lucky Q patron--and
gave the first game to Manjula.  His food finally arrived though,
so he settled down and won the next two games to take his match, 2:1.

I went last against Jeremy in a 3:5.  We both got off to a poor start,
with Jeremy taking the first 2 games, me taking the 3rd, and Jeremy
the 4th.  Fortunately, I got my stroke in line and got more realistic
in my shot selection, while Jeremy continued to struggle (and make
some odd shot choices), allowing me to put some nice runs together to
win the next 2 games and the match, 3:3.

So we lost 3, won 2 for tonight's matches.

Paul H played the make up match against Matt, a 2:4, at the start of
the night while Rob was playing.  It was Paul's first match of the
season, so he was understandably a little rusty and not able to put
together a win.  He lost the match 0:4.

Next week we play Cue Strokers.