[POOL] Tonite's (and this year's) results

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 4 00:38:39 CDT 2011

We played You Get More with Les tonight for the title for 5th place in
the 2010/2011 Argonne Pool League.

First up was Brian T against Steve (or is his name Matt; they guy who
looks like Paul Konerko's younger brother :) ) in a 3:5 (or so) match
up.  Brian dominated, taking 3 games to win the first match.

Next was Craig against Fred in a 2:9 (or so).  Fred was playing well
but a bit wildly at times.  After winning the first 6 games, Fred gave
up ball in hand to Craig, which Craig was able to run out for a win.
Fred came back in the next game and got to the 8 first, but he missed
his shot and sent the cue into a side pocket, giving Craig the win and
the match.  Woo!  (I may have gotten those backwards, but iirc, Craig
won one game and Fred scratched in the other).

I went up next against Les in a 2:7.  Les started off playing very
well, and despite some good runs on my part, he toke an early 0:3
lead.  I made a rally in the 4th game for a win, and was able to run
all my balls except one for a dominating lead in the 5th.  Due to a
nice defensive safety on my part, Les gave me ball in hand for an easy
shot on my remaining ball with a perfect leave on the 8, but
inexplicably, I completely messed up the shot.  Fortunately, Les was
having a tough time sinking his balls, and after much chasing of my
remaining ball around the table, I was finally able to sink it and the
8 for my second win, taking the match and giving us the win for the
night!

So we swept More w/ Les 3-0 to take rightful ownership of 5th place in
the League, where we spent most of our time this year.  Great job all,
especially Craig who won all 3 of his matches in the playoffs!

Next up, party!