[POOL] Tonite's Results

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 13 03:11:48 CDT 2011

We entered the last night of the season in a 3-way tie for 5th, 7
games out of 1st but only 3 games out of 3rd.  We played Bass Ackwards.

Before we get to the results for tonight's scheduled matches, I'll
report that I played Amanda in the makeup match for last week.  We
played in a 3:3 match (being only 1 point apart in handcaps), and we
played like we were only 1 point apart.  Amanda got out to an initial
0:2 lead, but I was able to take the next 2 to tie it up.  We matched
each other shot for shot (and miss for miss) in the final game, but I
managed to get to the 8 first.  I had a long, cross table cut into the
corner for the win, similar to ones I had been making all match long,
but unfortunately, I overcut it, leaving an easy shot for Amanda for
the game, which she made, taking the match 2:3.

So, with that out of the way:

First match was Craig against Glen in a 2:4.  I missed the match, but
judging from the duration, it was a 1 hour battle, with Craig
ultimately unable to pull out a win and losing the match, 0:4.

Next was Paul in a 2:2 against Gary.  It was another drawn out battle,
with Paul was shooting OK, but the 8-ball was not cooperating.  Paul
was making steady progress in the first game, until he got an odd
carom on one of his shots into the 8, sinking it prematurely.  Paul
got to the 8 first in the 2nd game, this time after having safely
dealing with his object balls first, and sunk it in his called
pocket.  Unfortunately, the cue ball also went down, resulting in a
second loss, and Gary winning the match, 0:2.

Roger played next against Jill in a 2:4.  Roger got off to a good
start, winning the first game.  Jill hunkered down though, and took
the next 3.  Undeterred, Roger came back strong in the final game and
won, taking the match 2:3.  Booyah!

I played Bob next in a 3:7.  Bob started off well, as usual, and took
the first 2 games, thanks partly too to poor shot selection on my
part.  I shot more wisely in the 3rd game for a win, but then failed
to take the 4th & 5th.  No matter, as I got on a roll while Bob
started to struggle, and I took the next 2 games, winning the match,
3:4.

Brian R played the final match of the regular season against Art in a
2:4.  Brian jumped on Art to win the first game, but Art came back to
win the next two.  Undaunted, Brian put together a nice run in the 4th
match and beat Art to the 8, winning the game and the match, 2:2.

So we lost 3 but won 3; with some luck, we hopefully moved up a spot
in the rankings.

Next week: playoffs!  Playoffs?!?  Don't talk about playoffs!  Playoffs??? :)