[POOL] Tue's results

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 13 21:53:00 CST 2011

Sorry for the late report:

We played Mr mR, Liz/Bob Daun's team.  New team member Dave Lehman
from CIS was on hand to watch the action.  He tested at 10, btw, so he
should fit right in with the rest of us. :)

First up was Brian T against Red in a 3:4.  Before this match, Brian
had played Mike H in a make up from last week which unfortunately he
lost, 0:6.  But he was undaunted, and took down Red, winning 3:1.

I played Jim next in a 2:5.  I should have known it wouldn't go well
when Jim accidently knocked my fresh pint of Franz to the floor during
the first game.  I played not great and was quickly down 0:4 with Jim
shooting on the 8 in the 5th game.  After a coach from Bob however,
Jim, in what appeared to be an effort to put draw on the cueball,
instead jumped the cueball straight into the pocket, giving me the
game (thank you very much :) ).  The final game then turned into a
defensive battle; fortunately, my defenses proved to be the stronger,
and somehow I managed to stage a comeback to win the game and the
match, 2:4.

Roger was next against Dick in a 2:6.  Roger has apparently found new
inspiration, as he was making banks without thinking and sneaking
object balls past blocked pockets with ease, quickly dispatching
Dick 2:1.

Paul then played Danny in a 2:6. Paul was shooting on target, but so
was Danny, making the going tough for Paul.  Down 0:5, Paul finally
got to sink the 8 first to start his comeback, but unfortunately Danny
would deny him the match by winning the rubber game, handing Paul a
loss, 1:6.

The final match featured Brian R against Bob, in a 1:10.  In an effort
to confuse Brian, Bob brought out his own ball set, with pink and tan
balls instead of purple and brown and a "measle" cue ball.  It was all
in vain, though, as Brian kept pace with Bob in the third game, and
after snookering Bob behind his remaining object ball, and thus
preventing him from shooting on the 8, Brian sunk the ball and then
the 8 to win the game and match, 1:2.

So it was a good night for Moe, taking 4 of 5 matches from a tough
team; good job Moe!  With Brian's loss in the makeup match, last
week's results were 3 wins out of 5, so so far we have a 7 out of 10
record, an excellent start.

Next week we play We Used to be Good, Kevin's team.