[POOL] Tonight's and Fall's Results

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 15 02:15:00 CST 2010

Tonight's matches were brought to you by the number 26;  all 5
matches that we played tonight against Mr mR were 2:6 match-ups;
we had to win 2 games, they had to win 6.  Unfortunately, we were only
able to win 1 match. :(

Craig played Red, Paul played Danny, Roger played Dick, John played
Adam, and Brian R played Jim.  Craig lost 1:6, Paul lost 0:6, Roger
won 2:2, John lost 0:6 (grrr), and Brian lost 0:6.  Except for perhaps
Paul's match (Danny was shooting very well, and Paul had just been in 4
timezones in less days, so he had an excuse :) ), all matches had a
game or two where we could have won.

The good news entering the night was that we were only 1 game out of
4th; the bad news was that 4 teams were tied for 4th, so that meant we
were in 8th (last) place.  Unless one of those teams lost all their
matches, then unfortunately, we likely ended the fall session still in
8th.  Actually, Brian R was finally able to finish his 1:10 match
against Rawly tonight (he was down 0:8), but alas he lost both games,
so I think that guarantees us 8th place, unless one of the 4th place
teams also played a makeup and lost.  Oh well.  We were only 5 or
6 games behind the first place team, which tells you how evenly
handicapped all the teams are, so we didn't really play that bad
compared to other teams.  Given the number of close matches we
played this session, we could have very easily placed higher.

No more pool for this year; next night will be in January.