[POOL] Last night's results

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 9 13:32:39 CST 2009

Last night we played X-Cue-Ses, Ron Shepard's Team.  We also played a
makeup match from last week.  Brian T played the makeup, but I'm not
sure against whom nor the outcome.  In the matches against X-Cue-Ses:

First was Craig against Bobby in a 1:7.  Bobby was tough as usual, but
Craig was able to get to him early, shooting on the 8 in the 2nd (or
was it 3rd?) game while Bobby still his own balls to deal with.
Unfortunately, Craig overcut his shot, and Bobby was then able to come
back to win the game.  Opportunities were fewer for Craig as the match
went on, and ultimately Craig went down, losing his match 0:7.

Next match featured the Return of Roger, against Les in another 1:7.
After clearing out the cobwebs, Roger made a strong run in game 6,
sinking his last 3 balls and leaving himself perfectly positioned on
the 8.  Well, maybe not perfectly, 'cause Roger was worried about
following the cue in after the 8 and compensated by instead hitting
nothing but cushion on the shot, given Les ball-in-hand and the game.
However, in the final game, Karma was well served when Les sank the 8
early.  In Roger's words, it was a freakish occurrence of the cue ball
hitting a cluster of balls and somehow the 8 went rolling into the
corner pocket.  So Roger took is first match of the season, 1:6; yea
Roger!

I then played Paul in a 2:2.  It was an uneventful match, with Paul
and I chasing our balls around the table for a while apparently unable
to sink any, but eventually I grew tired of the game and took him
down, winning the match 2:0.

Brian R. was next against Ron in a 1:10.  Brian played Ron tough, and
in a late game (7 or 8), he made a nice run and was shooting on the 8
before Ron was.  He had a difficult but makable cut on the 8 in the
corner, but he *just* missed, and unfortunately, Ron being Ron, he ran
the rest of his balls in and the 8 to win the game.  Brian continued
playing tough, but in the end it wasn't enough, and match went to Ron,
0:10.

We didn't play a 5th match, as given the weather and other factors,
Brian T couldn't stay late.  That match will be made up next week.  So
we were 2-2 on the night.  We entered the night in 3rd place, 4 games
behind Busch Whackers and Retarded Monkeys (Rich's team), who are both
tied for 1st, and 6 games ahead of Hit-or-Miss.  We should still be in
3rd next week when we play Mr mR in the final week of the fall season.