[POOL] Fwd: Pool Physics Paper

Paul Hovland hovland at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 28 16:23:17 CST 2009

Brian T. and I were talking a little about light versus heavy cues on
the break.  Here is a passage from Ron Shepard's "Amateur Physics for
the Amateur Pool Player" paper:

> In the last few years, many professional 9-ball players have
> switched from heavy
> break cues to lighter break cues.  These players may still use a
> typical 19-20oz cue for
> their normal strokes in a game, but they break with a lighter
> 15-18oz break cue.  Break
> cues of this weight are consistent with the above equations, elbow
> pivots rather than
> shoulder pivots, and slim to medium body types.  The actual breaking
> technique used by
> these players is more complicated than that considered above, and
> involves pivots about
> both the shoulder and the elbow.

I'm including Ron's pointer to the full paper below, in case anyone is
interested.

Paul

ps: I don't think Brian's forearm mass falls in either the light or
medium category, so according to Ron's analysis, a heavier break cue
might be most appropriate for him.

Begin forwarded message: