[POOL] Back to the basics

Jason Hedden jhedden at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 19 11:10:14 CST 2009

With league playoffs and some tournaments coming up I've been spending
some time going over the basics, and   finding new drills to practice.
Here's some information I thought you guys might find useful:

Learning the Lining Up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPn3Wzp4NT8&feature=related

Learning the Grip & Distance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nly7g_NEKM&feature=related

Learning the bridge (They don't cover this, but make sure your palm is
rested on the table when ever possible.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teI5N4dfBcw&feature=related

The eyes in the pool stroke ( poor quality, but it gets the point
across.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cANuhMvwUCw&feature=related

Learning the Staying Down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlDlsFO3_Zk

Drills to practice:

Follow and Draw Drill with Thorsten Hohmann ( great for the
fundamentals )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew4cXh6alJU

Thorsten Hohmann exercising Frozen Rail Drill ( I've been doing this
drill off and on for years, I recommend the first few times you try it
use ball in hand on every shot. Then work your way to using ball in
hand every other shot, and so on. BTW if you miss, or hit another ball
you reset the table.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnD0O3fw6Ls&feature=related

If you're looking for more information, azbilliards has some good
articles and a forum. http://www.azbilliards.com

- Jason