[POOL] Last night's matches

Craig Stacey stace at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 6 09:32:04 CST 2006

Roger's detail below outlines the last match of the night, John vs.
Mark.

Ti went first and played Scott in a 5-3, going down 5-2 -- Scott sank
the 8 on the break on the final game.

I went next, playing Kevin in a 4-1, winning 2-1.

Amy played John in a 2-2, falling 2-0 -- I didn't see that match so I
can't comment on it.

I was watching Roger in a 8-2 against Matt.  Matt took the first
one.  Roger *owned* the second game, with a solid run of balls,
eventually getting to the 8 before Matt could.  But the third game
was the best.  Roger was down  - had almost all his balls on the
table, while Matt had only the 1 and then the 8.  In some way I can't
quite comprehend, Roger managed to get his balls to surround (and
touch up against) the 8, which was hanging *precariously* in a
pocket.  I mean *in* -- it was inside the edges of the rails, just
teetering there.

Matt eventually had to take an 8 shot, and did it, sinking it.  And
following it with the cue ball.  Roger won it on pure defense.  It
was beautiful.

In all, we took 2 of 5.  Huzzah!  Two more matches, then we break for
the holidays.