[POOL] Tuesday night summary

Craig Stacey stace at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Oct 27 11:36:48 CDT 2005

The summary of Tuesday night:

Team 8 was insisting on us playing make-ups.  I and their captain
(Mark) were not present last weeks, so we were each arguing on what
our teams told us.

My point to them was that by the rules and what's written on our
sheets said that make-ups would be played only is both captains
agree, and I wasn't agreeing to anything *yet*.  I wanted to talk to
Kevin and get assurances that if we gave leniency in make-ups, we
would get leniency in return when we needed it.  (Kevin showed up at
the beginning, but had to bail back to work and would return later.)
Mark was insisting that we'd get no such assurances, which was kind
of odd because my point was that if we didn't get that, we weren't
going to grant leniency ourselves.

It went back and forth for some time and I finally said "We're not
playing the make-ups".  They were a little ticked, but I think it'll
be forgotten soon enough.  The result is we get 2 wins but nobody's
handicap went up or down and nobody paid match fees for those games.

As for Tuesday night's games, Roger was playing hot on the practice
table, but alas it did not translate to a win for him.  In fact, all
the first four matches were losses (Roger, Phil, Aaron, Ti).  I went
last, and had a 5-1.  I was playing pretty well for the first 3
games, got to shoot on the 8 in all of them, but lost each of those.
In the 4th he totally owned me, and in the 5th I was behind
significantly.  I played a safety to block his shot on the 8, and he
made some bizarro decision to try some freaky safety shot on the 8
rather than give me ball in hand.  It results in him scratching,
which based on his reaction I don't think he realized it meant a loss
of game.  And match.  So we got one win Tuesday night.

Based on what we did last night, we should expect no leniency in
getting make-ups for missed matches.  But we've always taken our
forfeits without complaining once, and I expect to continue to do so.

--
Craig