Captains Meeting Notes

William E. Allcock allcock at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Nov 8 09:42:29 CST 2003

A brief summary:

There was apparently some trouble between the management and one of the teams
about the free drinks.  I wont repeat all the whining...  I mean discussion
that took place, but here is the summary:

1) The free drinks are a gift from the owner.  We are the only pool league
that gets it.
2) The rule is beer up to $2.50, soda and well drinks up to $3.00
3) They should not try and force you to a cheaper drink if it is still within
the range, i.e. try and make you take something on tap instead of a bottle if
it is cheaper.  That is one thing that happened.  If they do, do not argue
with the bartender, bring it to the attention of the pool league "management"
and let them deal with it.

Related, the same people who had the tiff, threatened to move the league
somewhere else.  Which of course they had no authority whatsoever to do.  We
have a great deal at Q and the overwhelming majority expressed support of
staying at Q.

Stay away from the foosball table unless you are actually playing it.  They
don't want coats, cues, drinks, or peoples bottom sides on it.  If you get
yelled at for doing it and someone else doesn't... TOUGH!  QUIT WHINING!

Ron Shepard is updating the rules.  Not so much rule changes as trying to get
the written rules to reflect league practice.  He will have the updates on the
web in December for review.  If there are any changes, they will go into
effect in the second session.

Basically, this meeting was to deal with a problem and make sure that it was a
personality conflict and not a league wide issue.

One thing that was brought up for the league as a whole was poor service.  We
are going to ask that they add another waitress.

Another thing was how late the night runs.  I suggested we try and get
additional tables.  Apparently the management wont give us any more.  However,
there are options.  If both teams agree, you can shoot something other than
the match specified by your handicap.  For instance, if you had to shoot a
5:4, you agree to a 3:2 or something.  Also, if you see that it is going to be
a long night, if both teams agree you can rent an extra table for an
additional cost and play in parallel, you can also go parallel after another
table has finished all their games.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Bill

William (Bill) E. Allcock