[AG-TECH] FYI Nvidia Quadro NVS 440

Gabriel Noronha Gabriel.Noronha at newcastle.edu.au
Wed Aug 3 03:58:12 CDT 2011

Some of you already know that when AG introduced the new codecs mpeg4 and h264 that some nodes experienced internal packet loss, that is packet loss on the cameras even through you know the network connection was good. we even had packet loss on cameras which where local on the same machine.

Today we solved the problem the graphics card in the machine was an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 440 running 4 monitors at 1920x1200 1360x768 1360x768 and 1920x1080. So it appears that our packet lost in VIC was due to the GPU being over run or it could of been just a lack of bandwidth over the PCI-e.

after a bit of googling wikipedia we worked out the NVS 440 are basically two nvidia Geforce 6000 series chips on the same card and the computer even sees it as 2 separate cards.

so we have managed to minimise our packet loss by adding a 2nd video card to our machine  using the spare PCI-e 8 slot.

other system notes:
Windows XP
Quad core Intel
3.12 gb RAM.