[AG-TECH] New equipment recommendations

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Fri Apr 2 05:15:42 CDT 2010

G'day Cindy

For your interest, I have been working on "turn key" Access Grid solutions.  You might want to check out http://www.arcs.org.au/products-services/collaboration-services/video/turnkey-solutions, especially http://www.arcs.org.au/products-services/collaboration-services/video/turnkey/room-based-system, as it lists some hardware that we use.

The following answers some of your questions:

1. I am still a big fan on using multiple machines, not because of required resources, but because the capture machine is separate, therefore the display machine only needs on "vic" to view all streams and thereby makes it more user friendly.  Easier for new users to find all video streams on the one applications, rather than having 4 vic's.

2. I'm using 512MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX580 video cards.

3. Cable length is an issue and I highly recommend buying high quality cables.  (Cheaper cables have issues over long lengths).  I use and tested Premium Gold DVI-D to HDMI Cable, 15m abd can be seen at https://www.lindy.com.au/online/arrshop.exe?af=570&as=37087&az=0&ai=1947726 with great success.

4. In regards to speakers, I find that most good speakers do the trick.

5. I don't have much experience with wireless mic's, cannot comment much sorry.

6. Cannot comment much sorry.

7. I highly suggest the Converge Pro 880.  Not only is it easier to confirm that the XAP's, but has a network interface which allows easier remote configuration I find very nice.

8. HD displays are fine, I recently built a new AG using Large LCD's, works very well.  The only issue is using Full HD quality, is that the displaying of Text might be too small and hard to read.

Anyway, hope the feedback is useful.

Cheers,
Jason.