[AG-TECH] Jabber Server Install [nclassified]

Andrew Rowley Andrew.Rowley at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Nov 26 05:26:43 CST 2007

Hi,

I have also tried this server (OpenFire) with AG Toolkit.  The main problem is related to the DNS names of the machine on which it is run.  AG Toolkit assumes that the name is the DNS name of the Jabber server with the first part removed and replaced with "conference" e.g. if you set your jabber server to jabber.mcs.anl.gov, it will assume the conference server is conference.mcs.anl.gov.  So you need to make sure that this also maps to the same machine.

Note that this is not really correct behaviour on behalf of the AGTk jabber client.  It should really do a ServiceDiscovery to find the conference server associated with the jabber server.

OpenFire is really easy to configure though.  I think you just have to make sure that the admin port is available on your server (or change it if it isn't) and then you can just log in through a web browser to configure it.  I didn't need to do any configuration that I can remember though.

Andrew :)

Research Computing Services,
Manchester Computing,
Kilburn Building,