[AG-TECH] Mac buffer tweak?

Piers O'Hanlon p.ohanlon at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Sat Nov 10 16:45:16 CST 2007

Hi,

I think the key sysctl here is this one: kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=8000000
which determines the max UDP buffer sizes (the others, as Chris points
out, are only relevant to TCP).

What would be useful to check is to run netstat -s on your system with
and without the ker.ipc.maxsocketbuf setting - and look at the UDP
section on "dropped due to full socket buffers" and see how this
changes.

However this is odd as vic does set the socket buffer sizes in the
application. One explanation maybe that the application provided
buffer sizes are a guide and if they're overrun then it can use more
memory but if the default max (on my MacBook they're set to 262144) is
too low then they will run out and hence you'll get bad video.

The other thing that is strange is that this doesn't appear to happen
on Linux (maybe it is and we haven't noticed it) but after a quick
look at the Linux kernel it seems that the SO_RCVBUF setsocketopt()
kernel implementation doubles the supplied value which may makes
things ok on Linux? However the max buffer size in Linux (Ubuntu 7.10
anyway) is /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max 131071 (which is lower than
OSX)...

If we find that vic's default's are too low then we can tweak them,
though it may only be fixed on some systems but increasing the system
maximum.....

It maybe worth keeping an eye on UDP buffer overruns (use netstat -s)
to see if this a more general problem.

There's a good guide on UDP buffer sizing here:
http://www.29west.com/docs/THPM/udp-buffer-sizing.html

Piers.