[AG-TECH] notes and thoughts on AG2.1.2b on win32

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Nov 13 14:25:05 CST 2005

Hi Lewis:

Have you been listening in on the node-related conversations we've been
having here?  ;-)

You have successfully identified the bugs and enhancements we've been
talking about lately to make shared nodes more "infrastructurable".  We
really want nodes to be always available and require a minimum of user
interaction to function.

Let me pull your points out and discuss them individually:

- Node service does not load the default config on startup
    This is a bug that showed up in the 2.1 timeframe.  It's very simple
to fix, and will be handled in the next release.

- All users must configure services themselves
    In 2.1.2, when a user runs a node service for the first time, the
system node configs are copied to the user space, and the system default
node configuration will be loaded.  This allows an admin to build a
default configuration and a set of additional configurations, and have
new users automatically inherit these.  (Clearly this is only true when
the node service is run within the venue client, per the point above.)

- Single video producer/consumer service for PIGs
    Bug 493 identifies--I think--the issue you are pointing out here.  A
combined video producer/consumer service would be nearly trivial to put
together (a one or two line change to the code).  This should show up
very soon.

- Autorun services at boot
    The node service could run at boot right now.  The problem lies with
the service managers:  since they start the media tools,. and the media
tools require a display, a user must be logged in to the machine to run
them.  We are working to solve this problem with versions of the media
tools that can be controlled via RPC instead of a graphical interface.

-  Certificate handling for shared nodes; proxy timeouts
    When the services can run at boot, they'll need a certificate with
which to start.  This will be a "service certificate" instead of the
identity certificates that we are now issuing.  Service certificates
have no passphrase, so there is no proxy to timeout.

Additionally, we've talked about node services and service managers
advertising themselves, so a user can select from a list of those
available.  Of course, this should be subject to authorization, so users
can't just control them willy nilly.

Let me know if I've missed anything, or if you have questions beyond
these.  Also, be sure to request enhancements for us to consider for the
next-release node software.

Thanks for your comments,

Tom Uram
ANL/FL