[AG-TECH] Access Grid Launch Obstacle

philip pocock philip.pocock at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 17:03:00 CST 2005

hello

we connect fine with vic and rat directly with mac osx to a bridge in
the uk. we can even send dv video over firewire to other users at that
bridge.

but...

using the accessgrid launcher software (requiring the cumbersome us
government certification! why?) we have managed to connect to the
venue:

https://vv2.mcs.anl.gov:9000/Venues/default

it opens rat and we can listen but our audio doesnt show up in the talk
level sliding scale

not one but 2! vic windows open:
1- called vic: Venue_Server_Lobby (with zero videos in it, not even our
own!)
and...
2 - called "Video" (with our ZKM(Video) node showing up but the image
is grey! whereas with our direct vic connection to the uk, our
ZKM(Video) shows up and works fine on the same machine not using the
accessgrid launcher app?)

if we disregard this accessgrid launcher software, requiring us
government certification and bypassing its slowness and using the open
source software vic and rat directly from our mac osx (linux-like)
system, here is the big question:
How can we connect to those listed in the Venue Client window in the
accessgrid launcher? How do we find or get found by Venues listed with
the accessgrid, or is the accessrid strictly a us government approval
system, not open to free accessgrid agents like ours at the moment?

it is not that we wish to bypass any groups, on the contrary, we wich
to communicate with grid-quality video/audio, but we are currently
stuck at the point where the accessgrid launcher opens 2 vic window,
gives us no view of our own video, or any others on the grid, and where
the rat window opens but does not measure our own sound input?

in the Venus Server Lobby, we are the only participant present. the
left column lists many lobbies, but when i select one, the 2 current
vic windows close automatically, as well as the rat window, and the
open-mash (the open source name for vic) crashes my entire system, not
always, but sometimes, irregularly!?
this does not happen with the simple non-accessgrid.launcher connection
system i learned from a wonderful accessgrid client in the uk!

i hope someone can follow this and either tell us how to connect to
others without using the accessgrid launcher, or how to solve the
accessgrid launcher for multicast from our fast connection here at zkm.

happy gridding :) philip pocock