[AG-TECH] Venue and Bridge Server specs

Christoph Willing willing at itee.uq.edu.au
Thu Jun 9 18:20:12 CDT 2005

On 09/06/2005, at 5:38 PM, Natalia Costas Lago wrote:

[snip]
> It seems to me that the venue server doesnt need heavy resources, but
> I'm not so sure about the bridge server.
>
> I would really appreciate the sites that hold/organise very big
> meetings (as Argonne with SCGlobal for instance), and have much
> experience in these matters, give us some guidelines about the specs
> recommended (or the place/website where I could gather some
> information).

The Asia Pacific AG server runs on a 1GHz PIII with 1GB ram. It also
runs a bridge server for a limited subset of the available venues. We
encourage institutions with venues named after themselves to run their
own bridges for those rooms.

The machine itself is extremely stable. The venue & bridge servers need
a restart about once per month - we're currently thinking about doing
this in a planned manner i.e. just restart 1st of the month (say),
rather than waiting for a problem to be discovered through people not
being able to enter a venue.

chris

Christoph Willing                        Ph: +61 7 3365 8350
QPSF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland