[AG-TECH] AG Developers mailing list available

kathy gill kegill at u.washington.edu
Wed Jun 1 16:26:28 CDT 2005

Darran Edmundson wrote:
> I agree fully.  I'm a mailing list person, going to web forums only
> infrequently in search of solutions to specific problems.
SNIP

> web forums ... typically don't have the  "reply and quote everything"
> mentality of mailing lists, sig files, header and footer cruft, etc.

This is an interesting sociological discussion ...and one that I find
fascinating since it is occurring in what I think of as a very
"geeky/techy" mailing list.

This is the first "tech" list I've participated in where "bottom
posting" and "snipping quoted material" netiquette is not the list norm.

Do we blame the software (my interpretation of the above snippet) or is
this a "user" issue? Because I don't think of this complaint as
reflecting a "mentality of mailing lists" -- quite the opposite! Most
mailing lists that I participate on do *not* have this problem. Perhaps
it's because list norms are explicit? It's certainly not because we all
use Pine!

One of my problems with web forums is that they don't seem to quote "by
default" and thus I have waded through many *useless* postings because
they contain no context. I'm not faulting the software ... per se ...
only noting that the tool contributes to an equal but opposite problem.

Kathy

--

Kathy E. Gill
Department of Communication