[AG-TECH] Outside AV not working

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 21 17:22:32 CST 2005

Hi Don:

I believe (based on other conversations with you) that you're using multicast addresses
similar to 224.0.0.x on your server.  This is, apparently, a problem.

 From the cisco Guidelines for Enterprise IP Multicast Address Allocation
(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk828/technologies_white_paper09186a00802d4643.shtml), it
looks like you should avoid 224.0.0.0-224.0.0.255, which "is used by network protocols on
a local subnet segment".

This same document claims that the 'global' range is 224.1.0.0-238.255.255.255, so
addresses there should work for you.  There are more details in RFC3171, if you're interested.

Let us (ag-tech) know if this fixes your problem.

Tom