[AG-TECH] AG2.3 shared applications problems

Jennifer Teig von Hoffman jtvh at bu.edu
Fri Sep 17 09:23:09 CDT 2004

Hi all,

Susanne Lefvert wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Hengzhi Zhong wrote:
>

>>Hello all,
>>
>>I have installed AG2.3 for a PIG.  The PIG is on windows
>>XP.  SharedBrowser, SharedQuestionTool, and PowerPoint are already included
>>in the shared applications.  However, when I tried to open SharedBrowser,
>>nothing shows up.  I could open SharedQuestionTool just fine.
>>
>>Later I installed SharedRasmol.  I could add SharedRasmol to the
>>applications, but when I clicked on it to open, nothing showed up.
>>
>>It seems to that other than SharedQuestionTool, none of the shared
>>applicatiosn can open on the PIG.  Why is that?  What should I do?
>

> Did you have an earlier version of the toolkit installed before you got
> 2.3? Sometimes, old shared applications are causing newer ones to fail.
> You could try renaming C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
> Data\AccessGrid\Config\ApplicationDatabase and see if that
> helps.  If that does not work, please send me your SharedBrowser.log file
> from C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\AccessGrid\Logs.

The shared apps bundled with 2.3 are all working fine for me (though the machine I've installed 2.3 on didn't have a pre-2.3 version installed before).

Shared Rasmol, on the other hand, behaves as described above. I had reported this earlier as a bug, but since it's a Shared Rasmol bug and not a Toolkit bug, the bug was closed. My understanding is that a new release of Shared Rasmol which addresses this problem is planned.

- Jennifer